100 Women Who Care was started in November 2006 by Karen Dunigan of Jackson, Michigan, as a brilliantly simple way to raise money efficiently and quickly for local charities. Her group of 100 Women, at their first one-hour meeting, each wrote a cheque for $100 directly to the charity, raising $10,000 to buy 300 new cribs for an organization in their city. Since then, they have grown to over 200 members and 100 Women Who Care chapters are forming all over the country.
Here's how it works...
Here's how it works...
- Each member commits to donating $100 per meeting (quarterly or $400 total per year)
- Meetings are conducted in one hour or less
- Any member who has signed a Membership Commitment Form and who is current with her donations may submit a Charity Nomination Form to nominate an organization for consideration at a meeting
- The nominating members of three randomly selected organizations will make a five minute presentation about the organization to the group.
- Each member will then vote for one of the three organizations.
- After votes are tallied, each member will write a cheque for $100 to the organization receiving the most votes and the selected organization will receive a group donation of $10,000!
- Organizations under consideration must serve the community of Stouffville and provide individual tax receipts to contributing members.
- Members who did not vote for the selected organization agree to make their donation regardless.
- Members who are unable to attend a meeting are expected to give their cheque to a friend or another member to deliver on their behalf.
- An organization not selected at one meeting may be submitted again at a subsequent meeting.
- A successful organization is not eligible for future consideration for 1 year, but the nominating member may submit the name of another organization.
- Ties will be decided by further votes. If a tie persists, the membership will vote to either (1) randomly select one of the tied organizations by draw, or (2) divide the group donation equally between the tied organizations.
- The selected organization must agree not to give out member information to any third parties except for tax purposes.
- Each meeting will open with a five minute update on how the funds donated at the previous meeting were used by the successful organization.